1/01/2012

Samodzielna Brygada Strzelców Karpackich - Support


According to Sławek, the SBSK expanded its artillery regiment from 21 to 52 guns with captured Italian pieces.  I've modeled eight 25pdrs and have an additional four 100/17s that were ready to go until I got burnt out painting pecs and lats.  Unfortunately, the Italians on my workbench stole their guns back for now. (Stronzo!)

Since the Matildas are so terrible against enemy tanks, these are my best AT assets.  They're good and cheap in MW, but they're overkill and unbelievably expensive in EW.  I have yet to master the art of rolling them up to the front in attack without calamitous results.  Dawn always breaks at the worst time!

I was looking forward for the actual Tobruk Position rules to come out in Hellfire and Back.  These are HMGs and a captured Italian AT gun in Tobruk pits.

These painted up very quickly.  I've only brought these to the table twice, and both games were a horror show of figuring out what the deployment rules, reserves, and victory conditions were.  I'm a little embarrassed that I'm using the paper templates for barbed wire, trenches, and minefields but I have some defenses in the works.
 
The Polish airmen of the RAF covered themselves in a lot of glory during WW2.  There was a great bunch called the Polish Fighting Team or "Skalski's Circus" shooting down Germans all over Africa.  But I haven't been able to find anything about Poles in a ground attack role.  Actually, I haven't been able to find much of anything about anybody in a ground attack role in the desert.  So these are some generic Hurricanes painted to match the box art.

Ground attack is hit or miss in Flames of War.  For me, it's mostly miss.  It's even worse in EW, where these guys can only intercept Stukas and don't have a ground attack of their own.  If it's true that Version 3 is moving to use only one plane miniature, I'll miss having a flight painted up.  Maybe there's another game to use them in?

No comments:

Post a Comment